Nikita Mazepin: Russian Formula 1 driver barred from British Grand Prix after Motorsport UK decision


Russian Formula 1 driver Nikita Mazepin will be unable to compete at the British Grand Prix

Russian Formula 1 driver Nikita Mazepin will be barred from competing at the British Grand Prix, after Motorsport UK announced their response to the situation in Ukraine.

On Tuesday, Haas driver Mazepin looked likely to be allowed to compete in F1 this season after the FIA confirmed Russian and Belarusian drivers could race under a neutral flag.

But chair of Motorsport UK, David Richards CBE, along with the board of the organisation confirmed in a statement on Wednesday Mazepin would not be able to race at Silverstone on July 3 unless the situation changes.

“The entire Motorsport UK community condemns the acts of war by Russia and Belarus in Ukraine and expresses its solidarity and support towards all those affected by the ongoing conflict.” Richards said.

Mazepin joined Haas for the 2021 season on a multi-year deal

Mazepin joined Haas for the 2021 season on a multi-year deal

“We stand united with the people of Ukraine and the motorsport community following the invasion and the unacceptable actions that have unfolded. This is a time for the international motorsport community to act and show support for the people of Ukraine and our colleagues at the Federation Automobile d’Ukraine (FAU).”

FIA president Mohammed bin Sulayem said in a statement on Tuesday: “The FIA is watching the developments in Ukraine with sadness and shock and I hope for a swift and peaceful resolution to the present situation.

“We condemn the Russian invasion of Ukraine and our thoughts are with all those suffering as a result of the events in Ukraine.”

In the statement, the FIA added: “Russian/Belarusian drivers, individual competitors and officials to participate in international/zone competitions only in their neutral capacity and under the ‘FIA flag’, subject to specific commitment and adherence to the FIA’s principles of

Read More

Emma Raducanu: British teenager reflects on ‘huge’ opening win at the Transylvanian Open | Tennis News

US Open champion Emma Raducanu is finally on the board on the WTA Tour after three previous first-round defeats; the teenager from Bromley in Kent will next take on home favourite Ana Bogdan in the last 16 of the Transylvania Open on Thursday

Last Updated: 27/10/21 1:35pm


Emma Raducanu recorded her first win on the WTA Tour

Emma Raducanu said tasting victory on the WTA Tour for the first time since her stunning US Open success “means a lot” to her.

Playing in just her second match since her fairy-tale victory as a qualifier at the US Open, the 18-year-old has finally been able to end the anomaly of being a Grand Slam champion without a win on the WTA Tour.

In just Raducanu’s fourth tournament at this level and after three previous first-round defeats she finally got on the board, beating Polona Hercog behind closed doors at the Transylvanian Open in Cluj.

She said: “It feels like a huge win, it is my first WTA Tour win which makes me very happy.

“It was difficult for me but I feel to win my first WTA match does mean a lot because I was on a losing streak, so I got my first one. I am really pleased to have come through that today.

“It definitely means a lot, it’s my first win, I knew that in my head so I was battling really hard to get on the board. To play in Romania, I had amazing support so they definitely helped me.

“It is a shame there aren’t fans here but I hope they were watching and I just wanted to do them proud.”

Raducanu, who had previously struggled to find anywhere near the level she showed in New York, allowed her talent to shine through in the deciding

Read More