Williams esports apologises for driver conduct

In the round-up: Williams’ esports team has apologised after an investigation into controversial incidents during the Daytona 24 Hours iRacing event.

In brief

Williams esports team apologises after ‘unacceptable conduct’ in iRacing event

Williams’ esports team has apologised after an investigation which determined some of the team breached its conduct standards in last week’s Daytona 24 Hours iRacing round.

Williams Esports cars took overall victory in the top split of the endurance simracing event last weekend and third place in the GT class. However, the team was heavily criticised for the manner in which they secured pole position for the race, running on the apron instead of the banking in violation of iRacing rules.

The team was also accused of using unsporting tactics with its second GT car which fell many laps behind in the race. The drivers appeared to ignore blue flags and delay rival cars at times which observers claim was done to assist their team mates. Williams have apologised to their competitors following their investigations.

“We find that the actions of some members of the Williams Esports team breached our standard for acceptable team conduct,” they said in a statement. “We apologise wholeheartedly for that, both to our fellow competitors and to the wider esports community.”

“Williams Esports, as a key player in the industry, is continuously committed to working with game developers and tournament organisers to ensure consistent enforcement of clear regulations and consequences for breaches. Accountability, integrity and regulation are key to the continued growth and sustainability of simracing, and of the wider esports industry and we are committed to driving that forward.”

Mercedes named among FTX creditors

Mercedes AMG F1 W13 rear wing, Miami International Circuit, 2022
Mercedes ran FTX logos before it collapsed

The Mercedes Formula 1 team is named among the thousands of creditors of collapsed crypto exchange FTX, which also includes

Read More

Nikita Mazepin: Russian Formula 1 driver barred from British Grand Prix after Motorsport UK decision

Russian Formula 1 driver Nikita Mazepin will be unable to compete at the British Grand Prix

Russian Formula 1 driver Nikita Mazepin will be unable to compete at the British Grand Prix

Russian Formula 1 driver Nikita Mazepin will be barred from competing at the British Grand Prix, after Motorsport UK announced their response to the situation in Ukraine.

On Tuesday, Haas driver Mazepin looked likely to be allowed to compete in F1 this season after the FIA confirmed Russian and Belarusian drivers could race under a neutral flag.

But chair of Motorsport UK, David Richards CBE, along with the board of the organisation confirmed in a statement on Wednesday Mazepin would not be able to race at Silverstone on July 3 unless the situation changes.

“The entire Motorsport UK community condemns the acts of war by Russia and Belarus in Ukraine and expresses its solidarity and support towards all those affected by the ongoing conflict.” Richards said.

Mazepin joined Haas for the 2021 season on a multi-year deal

Mazepin joined Haas for the 2021 season on a multi-year deal

“We stand united with the people of Ukraine and the motorsport community following the invasion and the unacceptable actions that have unfolded. This is a time for the international motorsport community to act and show support for the people of Ukraine and our colleagues at the Federation Automobile d’Ukraine (FAU).”

FIA president Mohammed bin Sulayem said in a statement on Tuesday: “The FIA is watching the developments in Ukraine with sadness and shock and I hope for a swift and peaceful resolution to the present situation.

“We condemn the Russian invasion of Ukraine and our thoughts are with all those suffering as a result of the events in Ukraine.”

In the statement, the FIA added: “Russian/Belarusian drivers, individual competitors and officials to participate in international/zone competitions only in their neutral capacity and under the ‘FIA flag’, subject to specific commitment and adherence to the FIA’s principles of

Read More

Lewis Hamilton turns 37: Formula 1 world awaits update on future as Mercedes driver tipped to return for eighth title after Toto Wolff retirement hint

Will Lewis Hamilton be back to chase a record-breaking eighth world title?

Will Lewis Hamilton be back to chase a record-breaking eighth world title?

Lewis Hamilton celebrates his 37th birthday on Friday as puppeteer to an F1 community sitting cross-legged and eager-eyed in anxious wait of an update on his future, with clamour for resolution testament to a sport that needs its record-chaser, its activist, its face.

Radio silence in the wake of last-lap Abu Dhabi heartache has equated to an unofficial, perhaps unconscious ‘You wanted your headline, so here’s mine’ news sovereignty after dropping a retirement hint in his brief post-race presser.

“We gave it everything and never gave up and that’s the most important thing,” said Hamilton. “We’ll see about next year.”

Hamilton has not spoken publicly since, and yet the frenzy surrounding his next steps has seemingly eclipsed celebration of a first-time world champion in Max Verstappen; that being less a reflection of the talented Dutchman or the circumstances of his victory, but more so a reminder of the enormity and importance of F1’s most successful driver.

Here is the moment Sir Lewis Hamilton was knighted by the Prince of Wales for his services to motorsport. He joins Sir Jackie Stewart, Sir Stirling Moss and Sir Jack Brabham as the fourth F1 racer to be knighted

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Here is the moment Sir Lewis Hamilton was knighted by the Prince of Wales for his services to motorsport. He joins Sir Jackie Stewart, Sir Stirling Moss and Sir Jack Brabham as the fourth F1 racer to be knighted

Here is the moment Sir Lewis Hamilton was knighted by the Prince of Wales for his services to motorsport. He joins Sir Jackie Stewart, Sir Stirling Moss and Sir Jack Brabham as the fourth F1 racer to be knighted

Formula 1’s birthday boy and recently-knighted seven-time champion signed a new two-year contract last summer, which kicked in this month, and admitted in September he had considered retirement in the past, noting “there’s other things that I’d like to do, normal stuff I want

Read More