Commentary: Greater standardization needed for esports racing

On November 27 and 28, the Pan American qualification race for the 2022 UCI esports biking globe championships was hosted on Zwift, on the Watopia Figure 8 route. The leading 6 sites in just about every of the men’s and women’s races acquired automated qualification for the globe championships in late February. Staff 20-24’s Shayna Powless gained the women’s race, and VeloNews columnist Zach Nehr (Upcoming pb Enshored) took the gain in the men’s function.

These who did not make the major 6 have a few added opportunities to qualify for the earth championships. For U.S. racers, this means petitioning to be named to Group Usa, primarily based on preceding performances. Or, athletes can participate in yet another race-off, on December 11th, on the RGT platform.

Also go through:

You read through that properly: These wanting to race at Zwift worlds will initially have to have to race — and gain — on the RGT platform. This is considerable simply because the digital biking platforms are considerably distinctive from a single a further.

“RGT is so a lot punchier, with the braking, corners, collision avoidance, and drafting algorithms,” Nehr advised VeloNews. “I’ve ridden and raced on both RGT and Zwift, and the two platforms have their advantages and drawbacks.”

RGT is the platform of selection for the Echelon Racing League collection, and for the United states of america Biking qualifier for “Zwift worlds.” The video game experience is different from Zwift in important strategies, which calls for sport-precise knowledge.

Nehr’s Subsequent pb Enshored teammate Brian Duffy, who finished in second area just fractions of a 2nd powering Nehr in the Pan American qualifier, also famous significant distinctions amongst the two digital cycling environments.

“Although numerous persons imagine of ecycling as purely pushed by power created, the gamecraft is amazingly significant,” Duffy advised VeloNews. “It’s an location that I practice every day — I even view video clip from races to improved perfect the timing, momentum, and physics. Consequently, it’s an essential element to excel at in order to gain races, specially the massive kinds.”

Stefanie Sydlik, who races for Canyon eSports, just missed qualifying for “Zwift Worlds” by way of the Pan American qualification race by a handful of fractions of a next. She will both want to petition for a berth on Crew United states of america, or race the qualification race on RGT if she would like to race at “Zwift Worlds.” She has numerous seasons of racing on both platforms and delivers a point of view received through knowledge.

“The Zwift algorithm approximates aerodynamics with weight and top,” Sydlik told VeloNews. “RGT aspects in breaking into corners, and positioning, but no drag scaled by peak or pounds.”

Fairness and the long term of esports

In the course of the 202o “Zwift worlds,” all competition raced on similar components provided by Tacx/Garmin. This ensured fairness for all racers, as the sport predictably interacted with the single product of clever trainer employed by all opponents. It

Read More... Read More

Court Report: Oscar Tshiebwe, Fardaws Aimaq reaching and racing for modern rebound record

Men’s college basketball hasn’t had a player average more than 15.0 rebounds in more than four decades. Might we see two players do it this season?

Kentucky’s Oscar Tshiebwe and Utah Valley’s Fardaws Aimaq each have a shot to become the first since Alcorn’s Larry Smith (18.1 rpg) in 1979-80 to snag more than 15.0 boards per game. Aimaq, in fact, averaged exactly 15.0 rebounds last season, albeit in only 20 games against D-I teams. (Doing it vs. a full schedule would qualify as a smidge more proper.)

While there have been superb carom-snaggers this century, the era of the dominant, game-changing rebounder has been gone so long from the college game it may as well be extinct. Tshiebwe and Aimaq are here to revive the role out of the amber. Tshiebwe leads the nation in rebound average (15.4); he’s No. 1 in offensive-rebound rate (27.6%) and No. 2 in defensive (34.4%). He also has seven double-doubles — tied with Aimaq (14.8 rpg) for most in the sport. 

In the preseason, Tshiebwe said his goal was to average 20 rebounds. CBS Sports caught up with him Tuesday night after Kentucky’s 76-64 win over Southern. He was happy with the W, of course, but let down because he fell short of his every-game objective: Tshiebwe finished with 11 boards. Oh, he had a game-high 23 points, too. But we talked about the rebounds and that preseason proclamation. 

“I’m guaranteeing again I can do it,” he said. “My goal is to go for 20 every time. I fight all the time for 20. When I don’t get it, it’s good we won, but I feel like I didn’t [fulfill] my purpose.”

Tshiebwe runs instant calculations in his head every time a shot goes up.

“If someone shoots from the right, it’s a 75% chance it’s going to go left, 25% it might go back on the same side,” he said. “I always position myself in the place where there’s a high chance it might go.”

The man has more than a nose for the ball — it’s a magnetic pull. And if he’s reaching for a rebound with two hands, no one else has a chance. His strength is rare and his stamina is elite. This was evident when Tshiebwe began his career at West Virginia, where he led the country in offensive rebound percentage as a freshman in 2019-20.  Coaches say Tshiebwe is the same player three minutes into a game as he is with three minutes remaining.  

“The energy I have is a gift from God,” Tshiebwe said. “I don’t care about scoring. I want to bring something special. I want my name one day to be remembered like Anthony Davis.”

Tshiebwe is a mortal lock to become the third John Calipari-coached Kentucky player to average better than 10.0 rebounds, joining a couple of pretty good pros right now in Davis and Julius Randle. Tshiebwe had 56 snags in Kentucky’s first three games, the most in program history. Kentucky’s program

Read More... Read More

Win A Red Bull Racing Esports Sim-Racing Rig

Read More... Read More